Interestingly enough, the flyer inviting people to her house said, "we need your ideas".
Two school board members came to answer any questions about the budget and the budget creation process, and to engage in a discussion with people who are opposed to it.
(Someone asked, so I should clarify: the two school board members were NOT Showalter or Lahti. They were Kloss and Altman. They went with good intentions in an effort to explain the budget process and why the numbers were where they were. The "study group" wanted nothing to do with them).
They quickly learned that the meeting wasn't to exchange ideas about how the budget is created, why the cap is over 4% this year, or ways to cut spending or increase state aid. The "study group" didn't want to "study" anything; they were just there to kill the budget, and, in turn, kill the schools.
They are conspiring to kill your kids' education and the quality of Clarence schools.
Here's the message that the cabal's leader sent out after the meeting.
From: "Study Group"
Date: March 13, 2015 at 4:36:18 PM EDT
To: "Study Group"
Subject: meeting update
Hi Everyone, I’d say the meeting was a success. About 10 people came w/ great input, and motivation, and we now have a good start.
1. We are going to start by passing out flyers and try to contact every home in Clarence.. I did 100 in an hour. If you can help, let me know. I will get flyers to you and assign streets unless you have another preference for streets……..and ask your friends and neighbors if they would be willing to help, also. Also, if you are willing to print fliers, let me know. That will save us money
2. We need to grow our volunteer base. Eventually we will be making phone calls, posting signs, going to meetings etc etc. I will let you know as we need people.
3. We are going to need money…….for signs, more flyers, and any other type of advertising etc to get the word out, so if you have any suggestions on how we can get donations, or if you would be willing to donate, let me know. Sources will not be revealed. We are grass roots only.
4. Next meeting is here, 5141 Willow Brook Rd, Clarence, on Thurs, March 26, at 6:30.
5. I’m attaching the simple flier again. Please forward to anyone you know in Clarence and ask them to forward it. We’ve got to get the word out.
6. The next Special Budget Meeting for the Clarence School District is Mon, March 30, 7:00 CHS LECTURE HALL.
Please plan on attending. We need to get their attention, and let them know we simply cannot afford this.
That original flyer was packed up with utter garbage. It's filled with lies, trying to scare people into believing that their taxes are going to double in 15 years. It's absolutely false, and doesn't reflect past practice.
Ellie's own school tax was over $2900 in 2006.
In 2014, it was $1900
How is a $1000 drop "unsustainable?"
In any event, Keep Clarence Schools Great is on the case. You can throw them a few bucks to help protect your kids' teachers, programs, clubs, extracurriculars, and sports here.
Remember: this is what the district lost the last time Ellie Corcoran and her crowd voted down a school budget. We can't afford more cuts, and we can't let them pretend they care about the quality of our schools.